Monday, February 14, 2011

The Daring Cooks February 2011 Challenge: Cold Soba Salad/Tempura Shrimp

The February 2011 Daring Cooks' Challenge was hosted by Lisa of Blueberry Girl. She challenged Daring Cooks to make Hiyashi Soba and/or Tempura. She has various sources for her challenge including japanesefood.about.com, pinkbites.com, and itsybitsyfoodies.com.

This is my first challenge at the Daring Cooks and out of two recipes you could do both recipes or one of the recipes given.

So what exactly is Soba? It's a type of Japanese noodle made from buckwheat flour,  Tempura is seafood or vegetables that have been dipped in batter and deep-fried.

I chose the Tempura Shrimp. It was awesome! We love fried shrimp and I was so nervous about making it. I don’t know what I was so worked up over, it was so easy and it turned out great! I think I needed the reassurance from the finished products looks, down to what my family of taste testers had to say. According to all of them and the one that matters, my valentine of 17 years the Tempura Shrimp was a hit!!

I hope you all have a very wonderful and fulfilling Valentines Day.

Happy Valentines Day!

5 comments:

  1. Your shrimp looks like they came out great! Glad to hear it was a hit with your valentine and the whole family too :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the Daring Cooks and congratulations on completing your first challenge! Your tempura shrimp look great and I'm glad everyone enjoyed them. Who knows what next month's challenge will bring us...?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies for the comments! I don't know why I was so nervous about it. First I was worried about buying a quality shrimp and something already de-veined. I wanted no part of that.(giggles)The batter was so runny that I just new I did something wrong, a measurement or something..lol! But I proceeded cooking just a few at first till I new if I messed it all up. I can't believe I made them! They were that good! Lol! Kidding of course I'm not that bad in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW that is stunning the prawns look exquisite superb work on this challenge it is great to hear that your valentine's loved it.

    Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Audax! I am definitely making these again with green beans. I bet pickles would be awesome too!

    ReplyDelete